What is Therapeutic Riding?
A physical, cognitive, or emotional special need does not limit a person from interacting with horses. In fact, such interactions have proven to have major physical and emotional impacts.
Individuals of all ages who participate in Therapeutic Riding can experience physical and emotional rewards:
- Riding a horse moves the rider’s body in a manner similar to a human gait, so riders with physical needs often show improvement in flexibility, balance and muscle strength.
- For individuals with emotional challenges, the unique relationship formed with the horse can lead to increased confidence, patience, and self-esteem.
- Partnering with equines also provides recreational opportunities for individuals to enjoy the outdoors as well as take pleasure in the interaction with animals.
What are the Benefits of Therapeutic Riding?
- Improved balance, strength, range of motion
- Improved coordination/motor skills, faster reflex
- Improved respiration/circulation
- Sensory integration
- Sense of well-being
- Improved self-confidence
- Improved risk-management abilities
- Emotional control, self-discipline
- Interaction with others, animals, nature
- Development of respect for animals
- Improved social skills (one-on-one/group)
- Proven to increase remedial reading, math and science skills
- Greater listening skills and focus
- Sequencing, patterning, motor planning skills
- Visual and spatial perception/differentiation
- Improved eye-hand coordination
Miracles do happen and we witness profound, life enhancing benefits or equine-assisted therapeutic services every day. We invite you to experience this too and see how we change lives, one ride at a time.